When we’re packing clothes before a move we’re often tempted to lift from drawer to box (and back again in the unpack). Hanging clothes get similar treatment. But our biggest tip before you move is to de-clutter your entire wardrobe before anything is placed into cardboard. After that… Silk Touch Moves and Relocations offers these handy tips for packing up the clothes that you will wear at your new destination.
1. If you have lightweight dressers, keep the clothing in the drawers and wrap the outside of the dresser (ensuring shelves do not fly open) with plastic wrap. Make sure there are no loose change or random items in the drawers.
2. If you have a lot of hanging clothes, use a wardrobe box to keep the items intact and still hanging. The downside to a good quality wardrobe box is the cost and space it takes up. If you don’t want to buy a wardrobe box, group several items together and put them in a yardbag while they are hanging.
3. Before you put clothing into boxes, pack your suitcases so the contents do not take up your cardboard box supply.
4. Make sure you are packing only the clothing you will want to wear in your new home. It’s a great idea to sort through your clothes before packing and purge your wardrobe of items with holes or tears.
5. Pack your clothes in like groups such as jeans with jeans, t-shirts with t-shirts, etc. This will make the unpacking process faster and more efficient.